A Travellerspoint blog

Being grown up in Brisbane

Obviously there has been some parts of the trip skipped out, but fear not, due to my inability to throw things away there is a scrap book to remind me when i get enough time to fill the gaps in. We arrived in Brisbane after a few days with my cousin Nicola in Sydney.

We first landed in Australia at 6:20 am and so decided it would be very intelligent to go to the central train station and leave our bags and explor the city before going to her flat. Now there were a few flaws in this plan:
1) it was about 6 degrees when we landed (it got warmer but only as the sun shone) and we were used to much hotter heats and also were dressed for bangkok not sydney. So flip flops at 8 am in the freezing are not the best idea
2) while the jet lag was minimal the fact we hadn't slept or eaten well in about 12 hours was not condusive to a good day of sight seeing.

However this did not deter us, so off we set through the streets of Sydney and after some reinforcing english breakfasts (amazing!) we saw the harbour bridge and opera house in the first hours of day light. Possibly due to the tiredness and the fact we've been seeing sights for 3 months but some of my sense of wonder was lost. The opera house was amazing, but no one told me the harbour bridge was just a bigger copy of the tyne bridge! litterally, its even made of middlesboro steel!

Anyway, after a bit of dissapointment there we sat in the sun and basked like lizzards waiting to heat up, i fell asleep, we carried on through the rocks of Sydney and got ourselves on line to the instructiosn from Nicola. We then provided ourselves with a mobile phone having had our last remaining one from the two from Koh Phi Phi taken at a full moon party before we left. Thus armed ... we went to the cinema! (Indiana Jones)

Later that day we got on the subway/metro/whatever its called and got to Nicola's office and then back to the house in Hornsby on the north shore line for a steak dinner!

We stayed for a few days at Nicola's not doing much but laundry, sleeping and washing and being in a house not a hostel and it was fantastic! We walked to the local shops, went on a day trip to Manly beach and not once managed to get up and out of the house before 1 in the afternoon!
While we were there they took us to one of the 'clubs' which is like a restaurant, pub, mini casino for slot machines and bingo - or keno here - and fuction room. It cant make profit so all themoney they make has to be re invested in it meaning the food is cheap. We played 5 games of keno during dinner and then used our winnings on the slot machines or pokies as they are called here. Mainly they frustrated me and i got bored pretty quickly speically if someone else was doing better than me so left Leanne to it and then pushed buttons when i felt like it! I dont remember the total outcome of the evening but i believe we either broke even or were about 5 dollars up!

I must go to work now so the last of sydney and our arrival in Brisbane will have to wait.

Posted by eralc 22:29 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint